Social Icons

Saturday 25 January 2014

Quickie Review: Revlon Lash Potion Mascara

One item on my beauty to-do list for 2014 is to find my Holy Grail mascara. I tend to stick to Maybelline mascaras which work well pretty for me, but I've never been head-over-heels for any single mascara. Naturally, due to the short-lived nature of mascaras, I'm starting my hunt on the high street and I was attracted to this gorgeously packaged mascara from Revlon. On an introductory price of £5, I couldn't say no!


 

Revlon Lash Potion


Isn't that a pretty tube? I like mascara tubes that aren't black as it makes them easier to find in my makeup bag. I know it’s not the nicest photo, but it’s so shiny I couldn’t snap it in direct light!

This mascara has, as seems to still be de rigeur in mascaras, a really large bristle brush. The bristles are spaced out to make 3 sections on the wand. I was sceptical of this huge brush as my lashes are quite short and I tend to have trouble with large brushes, especially on my lower lashes. I didn't find it bad on my top lashes and the way the brush is split into sections helps in not getting it all over your lashline, but it's not the easiest to use on your lower lashes.

Revlon Lash Potion before and after


I like the effect of this mascara on my lashes - it gives decent volume and length without being too much, although it does have a slight tendency to look spidery if you really want to build it up. On first application, I really enjoyed this mascara. It wasn't omgwow, but it was pretty nice…. And here comes the "but"! The staying power of this mascara is total crap! I looked in the mirror around lunchtime and had huge raccoon circles! I put it down to my new concealer, but didn't use that the following day and still encountered smudges. Boo! I don't wear mascara on my lower lashes everyday, especially during the week, but I’d like the option, thanks!

I’d be tempted to try out a waterproof version of this, but the smudging just makes this a total no-go for me – really, really not what I want in a mascara at all! Sorry Lash Potion, but Shantay, you don’t stay.

Have you tried any Revlon Mascaras? What’s your current favourite?

3 comments:

  1. ARGH the smudges!!! I can't stand when this happens with a mascara (especially when I wear it to work and it does this!)

    Also, if I ever can get enough time off of work to come to London for more than a day I would love to meet up with you, that would be so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack that's a shame you should really try the Seventeen ones I got the new Superlash one and it's really nice. Btw if you meet the lovely Vulcan I want to come too :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick tip to a possible HG mascara: Lash Booster Mascara from Isadora! (I don't know if it's available in the UK though, but if you can, get your hands on it!) It's as close to an HG I've ever been (:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Got a question? Catch me on Instagram @staybeautifulmakeup or on Twitter @robynheartsslap