Social Icons

Friday 18 June 2010

Julissa's Masquerade Contest Entry

Julissa is hosting an awesome Masquerade Contest with cool prizes, including some made by her lovely self which I think is awesome and prizes for the runners up too. (I've got my eye on the Fyrinnae Diabolique Masqerade O_o) You have to create a mask from make-up and then make an everyday look inspired by your mask.

Sigh... this didn't turn out they way I had planned and was much more vibrant in my head than on pictures. I was inspired by this shot by Alex Box which is going to make my pic that much more crap:




I wanted something soft yet bright, with a stencil-y sort of look, like picture above, so I decided to have a go at doing something Marie-Antoinette-ish, with fishnet on the mask for the stencil-ly part and to add texture. Yeah... never used fishnet stencils before - you have to really stretch the fabric to get a taught stencil, and I didn't do so good. I decided to blend the shadows into the mask, to make it a softer look.






So yeah... only ok. Maybe I should have left the eyes 'cut out.' Meh. It was a good learning process though, like I learnt how not to use fishnets as a stencil, and touching up my foundation after I'd peeled the tape off was tricky, too. Also its the first time I've used Kryolans as an all-over base, and I liked it.

I mostly used Barry M shadows with a bit of Gosh and Nyx mixed in.

And here is my 'everyday' look. I liked the bronze detailing on the mask more, but to make it more of my everyday look, which is quite bright, I blended it with the hot pink and added black liner as I like a stronger eye and don't often wear soft pinks on my eyes. I'm definitely going to try blending more colours out with gold and copper shadows now, I thought it looked pretty cool. Sorry about the zits, judges!







So go check out the contest guys, its open until sometime in August, so you've got a while to think of an idea!

Robyn x

19 comments:

  1. I think that looks great! I have absolutely NO time to do her challenge, but I really want to. I love the colors - they're not to bright, but they're really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yessssssssss well done, such a pretty look, you are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow awesome makeup looks amazing i really like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic i could never do it well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, good luck! And your hair in the picture where it's up looks amazing. That's the colour I want! But if I dye my hair anymore it'll turn to straw and fall out :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a cool entry! I wish I had the creativity to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, awesome look! Good luck for the contest! :) I kind of would like to enter but I don't think I'm creative enough..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, thanks ladies!

    @Jonna and Rebecca: its not really about being creative as such... I think having a starting point, like 'pink' or 'venetian' and drawing a face chart really helps.

    @Methadone Pretty: I just use the Swarzkopf XXL range, and some of their dyes are no ammonia, bla bla, so they're fairly nice to hair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well.. there's lots of time to do it so I might think about doing it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! It's so girly I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Errrr you talented bish! The mask is ridiculously gorgeous :D

    The Alex Box photo looks like doilies? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous!! Thank you sooo much!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is totally awesome! I think I want to do a masquerade costume for Halloween this year... you can come over just to do my makeup XD XD
    I would love to do something like this, I just don't have a steady enough hand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phew, that's a tough challenge but you did something amazing!

    Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely :) FANTASTIC job. I adore the mask and the everyday look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg this is sooo awesome! ive always wanted to know how to do a mask, you nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Silhoutte Screams: It is a doily! I feel cheated!

    @Julissa - thankyou! It was fun :D

    @Cydonian - I'll just book a flight, shall I? :P You don't need a steady hand - you need tape!

    @Moogle - it didn't quite come out how I wanted it but it was still fun!

    @Heather - I think the normal one was my favourite - I came up with a new color combo and that always makes me a happy chicken

    @Eye of the Beholder: You need a steady hand - or cheat and use masking tape! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. great look! I followed you already, please follow me too. Thanks and see you around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. omg i love this. u re amazing! :D
    i always failed with pink eyeshadow lol :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Got a question? Catch me on Instagram @staybeautifulmakeup or on Twitter @robynheartsslap